Wednesday 22 February 2012

Album Review: Grouplove: Never Trust a Happy Song (2011)



By Scott Jeffrey


I know I am a little bit late on this one but I just found out that this album came out.

In the past summer Grouplove put out a short EP that was so enchanting it seemed to make every car playlist that I created for road tripping.

I’ve finally got my hands on the full length from these American indie rockers and I like the other stuff they have to offer.

Itchin On A Photograph starts off really slow and deliberate and by the end has the same intensity as the groups, hit Colors. Christian Zucconi sounds like hes having a tantrum by the end, it’s amazing to hear how this track goes from slow jam to angst ridden rock.

Lovely Cup sounds like the ultimate feel good song. With a light bass and a sound that you can’t help but bob your head to. Even a few “sha la las” thrown in for good measure. I really like the arena rock distortion that seems to mesh in a very interesting way with Hannah Hooper’s backing vocals.

Colors appears on this album as well, and I’m sure that everyone has probably heard it by now. It had some decent radio play and made it on the soundtrack for a few EA games (NFL, Fifa). This is a great example of the band’s sound and should be the first track to check out.

Get your lighters ready for Cruel and Beautiful World this is the slower song on the album. This nearly country sounding track, features slide guitars, accordion and classical acoustic. This reminds me of a good old fashioned drinking song.





6.5/10

Take away thought: The album is very different from the EP, I was kind of surprised at just how much depth that grouplove has. Although Colors is still the standout track there are a few other notable songs on this album. I would say if you’re a big fan of the EP give this a go. If you haven’t heard of Grouplove maybe get the EP over the album, the extra songs may leave you a bit disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment